Position Open: Assistant or Associate Research Engineer/Scientist
Appointed Title: Assistant or Associate Research Engineer/Scientist
Working Title: CBID Global Health Program Officer
Position Reports To: Director and Grad Program Director, CBID
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Overview of CBID:
Johns Hopkins Center for Bioengineering Innovation & Design (CBID) is a Center focused on the design and development of health care solutions for both advanced and developing health care systems. Administratively, CBID is part of the Department of Biomedical Engineering, within the Schools of Engineering and Medicine, with close ties to the Bloomberg School of Public Health. Since 2010, CBID’s Global Health Innovation program has designed and developed many solutions to pressing health care challenges in LMICs. Projects typically involve one or more CBID MSE student teams, as well as mentors and partners. Successful translation of these ideas into impact requires sustained, focused attention over many years.
OVERVIEW OF ROLE
Working closely with the leadership of CBID in all aspects of the role, the Global Health Program Officer (GHPO) will:
- oversee the day-to-day programming and implementation of CBID’s core Global Health Innovation projects.
- conduct periodic topical landscape analyses to inform, evolve and grow an innovation portfolio at CBID.
- develop and implement a process for early identification of funding opportunities and develop and nurture a wide donor network.
- contribute to business development including coordinating proposal development and submission process.
- oversee the implementation of innovation projects, develop workplans, manage project finances, monitor progress and produce periodic reports.
The position requires a well-honed capability in engaging with high level faculty, professionals within the JHU system as well as abroad. The GHPO will have specific technical program development responsibilities in CBID’S core Innovations projects and bring project management experience to CBID and contribute to research evaluation and development. This is a position requiring a high level of independent decision making and potential for career growth.
- Develop workplans, monitoring and evaluation frameworks for core CBID innovation projects
- Provide project development and implementation oversight to multiple innovation efforts
- Ensure timely, accurate and appropriate reporting on innovation program activities and results
- Identify opportunities for quality improvement in processes and systems that support the global health innovations program and objectives
- Work collaboratively with finance staff to prepare and track the progress of innovation activity budgets
- Share with CBID leadership technical program results, experiences, lessons learned and challenges
- Support and lead, as assigned, the analysis of innovation challenges and develop landscapes of intractable global health problems
- Support faculty and graduate teams in the development and review of new products, quality assurance methodologies and documents in areas of CBID expertise.
- Coordinate the design field-testing and operational research programs that may test and promote new initiatives and innovations
- Work with other staff to identify program and field opportunities for collaboration and coordination of innovation activities from conceptualization (idea generation) through field testing and introduction
- Work collaboratively with other staff to ensure that resources are available for effective and timely innovations program implementation.
- Ensure timely completion and submission of project reports.
- Coordinate the process of proposal development and submission and provide technical and programmatic inputs to new proposals as needed.
- Contribute to and as assigned lead the conceptualization and write up of articles for peer reviewed journals
- Motivate and mentor assigned staff and consultants.
- Contribute to orientation and mentoring of graduate students
- Graduate degree in public health or business administration (MPH, MBA)
- 5 or more years progressive professional international health program development experience
- Knowledge of the Global health program development field
- Knowledge of international and USG donor agencies, private sector foundation and corporate funding
- Independent result-oriented decision making and multitasking capability.
- Excellent facilitation, team building, communications, and presentation skills
- Excellent writing skills, including for peer reviewed publications, and proposals and reports
- Demonstrated program development and management skills in one or more CBID technical areas.
- Demonstrated experience in research and evaluation design.
- Experience in the development of strategic and tactical plans in cooperation with others who represent a wide range of interests and needs.
- Field oriented and comfortable with a team approach to technical program development
- An accomplished team player
- Fluency in one or more languages used by the international development community
- A healthy disregard for the impossible
If you are interested in this position, please reach out to Dr. Acharya at [email protected].